Pyramid of Kukulkan
The pyramid of KUKULCAN — temple structure, surviving among the ruins of the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Kukulkan the Maya were analogous to the God Quetzalcoatl.
1) Chichen Itza is one of the largest and most magnificent centres of Mayan culture, which served to conduct the major religious ceremonies. I believe that it was founded in the VIII century, and two centuries later, foreign invaders captured by the Toltecs under the leadership of CE Acatl Topiltzin, who was not only ruler of the nation, but the Supreme priest of the God Quetzalcoatl, or KUKULCAN as he was called Maya. The invaders chose Chichen Itza as its capital, making it the most populous city of the Yucatan Peninsula.
2) In chichén-itzá the ancient architects had erected in honor of the sacred Serpent Grand temple-pyramid of Kukulkan. The building was placed in the center of the architectural ensemble of the city, making it the dominant feature, visible from any point.
3) At the base of the pyramid is a square with sides of 55.5 m, the height of the building reaches 25 m At the edge of the pyramid has nine terraces — one for each region of the Kingdom of the dead. So Maya imagined afterlife — the place where they went after death.
4) To the top of the structures leads four wide steep stairs divided by 18 spans, each of them corresponds to a certain month of the year, as the Mayan calendar had 18 months.
5) All stairs,in turn, consist of 91 steps. If this figure is multiplied by four (number of stairs) and add another stage — the platform on the top, on which stands the temple, you will get 365 — number of days in a year. Probably, the pyramid also served for astronomical observations, because it is strictly oriented to the cardinal.
6) But the sanctuary of the Feathered Serpent has other phenomenal properties. If the builders have removed at least one degree, they would not be able to achieve the special visual effect that occurs twice a year, in the spring and autumn equinox.
7) Staircase running along the North side of the pyramid, the bottom edges of the ends in snake heads, symbols of the God KUKULCAN. At certain times on the steps of the ladder of triangles of light and shadow form the image of a giant of the sacred Snake, slowly moving to the base of the pyramid. The illusion lasts 3 hours and 22 minutes. The ancient Maya, watching the action, probably, thought that Kukulkan returns to life and descends to the earth.
8) However, this is not the only “special effect” of the stunning structure. Maya is again surprised scientists, who established that the pyramid is… a giant resonator. The sound of the steps of people going up the stairs on the outside of the buildings, is transformed into a pyramid in exact imitation of the voice of the Quetzal — the sacred bird of the Maya.
9) Miracles of the Church are attracted to Chichen Itza travelers from around the world, the city became one of the most visited monuments of the ancient Maya. But for many years nothing about him was known: in the XIV century for some unknown reason, Chichen Itza unexpectedly left the inhabitants, and the jungle gradually consumed her.